Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Just Another Manic 'Mom'day


                Being a mom is hectic.  No matter how many kids you have, those quiet mornings sipping coffee and reading the paper are gone.  I’m in awe of everyone who manages to get the kids out the door and fed every day, and seriously impressed with moms who do that and get themselves to work on time.  At our house, no matter what day of the week it is, it’s a manic day.  It’s a happy chaos, created by our four wonderful children, but it is a LOT to deal with.  I am by no means a parenting (or any other kind of) expert, but I firmly believe that laughter is the best way to deal with daily stress.  I am lucky enough to be able to laugh at myself and my situation most days, and I now invite you to laugh at my daily grind too, with this play-by-play of a random manic morning in our house. 

7am:  Lay in bed nursing baby and pumping, wishing the breast pump doubled as a coffee maker and trying to calculate how much sleep I actually got between night feedings.  Pull out phone to read any important news (i.e. Facebook) that has been reported since the 5am feeding.

7:02: Listen on the baby monitor as toddler sings happily.  Wondering why my two kids that don’t attend school wake up earlier than the two that actually need to be someplace soon.

7:05: Realize toddler’s song has turned dark as she sings “I’m still here in my bed all alone in the dark because nobody loves me.  Yes nobody loves me.”  Turn off the pump and slide out of bed while still feeding baby.

7:07: Greet toddler warmly.  Dodge stuffed dog chucked at my head while toddler insists she’s still sleeping.  Retreat to my room, still feeding baby.

7:10: Finish feeding baby.  Set her in bouncy seat and get dressed.  Attempt to insert contacts and brush teeth while bouncing bouncy seat with my foot.

7:11: Drop contact somewhere.  Curse and then get out a new one.  They’re disposable anyway.

7:12: Pick up frantic baby and apply multiple layers of cover-up under my eyes.  Attempt minimal makeup and maximum deodorant one handed.

7:13: Notice baby has spit up most of her feeding into my hair and shirt.  Remember to brush hair while dabbing at the vomit with a damp cloth.

7:14:  Return to toddler’s room.  Realize I left bottle of pumped milk in her room and that she has now spilled it.  Cry.  Explain why she can’t wear a swimsuit all day when it’s not yet 60 degrees out.

7:25: Carry baby and toddler (still in Pjs) downstairs.  Practice origami skills by folding baby into Moby wrap.

7:30: Pour two sippy cups of skim milk and one of lactose free milk.  Pour self coffee.  Start to take sip of coffee when baby spits up down my shirt again.  Try to blot at clumps of spit up with rag but can’t reach it with the Moby wrap on.  Give up and make mental note never to wear black again.

7:35: Wake big kids, make beds, open blinds, instruct kids 11 times to get dressed.

7:45: Referee wrestling match over which episode of Monster High to watch. 

7:50: Slip in pooled spit up on the hardwood floor while packing lunches.  When did that happen?

8:00: Serve breakfast to toddler and big kids as they sit like royalty in front of the TV.  Bounce baby in Moby in hopes that she’ll stop screeching before we all go deaf.

8:10: Beg toddler to get dressed.  Give up quickly and persuade kids to brush teeth and hair instead.

8:15: Put toddler’s hair in ponytail to avoid combing through weird matted clump in the back.

8:20: Load dishwasher.  Realize I forgot to change baby’s diaper.  Allow toddler to “help” with this task.  Spot baby powder and shake some down my shirt in hopes of masking the stench of spit up. 

8:25: Throw now-damp changing pad and baby’s pajamas into washer.  Attempt to squeeze the stupid bento boxes into the lunchboxes.  Fold baby back into the Moby wrap.  Reach for coffee to take a sip but knock it to floor with baby’s foot instead.  Contemplate lapping it off the floor but decide I should sweep the glass up first. 

8:28: Look at clock and realize I don’t have time to sweep.  Turn off TV and tell kids to get shoes, jackets, and backpacks.

8:30: Grab shoes that kindergartener forgot when she raced out the door. 

8:32: Subtly wipe big kids’ mouths on side of Moby wrap.  Really look at their outfits for the first time and wonder who told my kids that stripes and polka dots match.

8:34: Wave as ½ of my kids board the bus.  Feel moment of relief.

8:35: Baby wakes and spits up again.  Toddler runs over my foot with tricycle. 

8:40: Tell toddler we need to go inside so mommy can eat breakfast.  Insist we will play outside once she is dressed. Watch as epic tantrum ensues.

8:50: Start to worry nearby construction workers will call CPS if they witness any more of the tantrum.  Pick up screaming toddler in one arm and carry her off to side of my body so she doesn’t clock baby strapped to my chest. 

8:51:  Accidentally bump baby’s head on doorframe.  Strip toddler naked in hopes that she’ll use the potty or get dressed.  Turn on Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.

8:53: Reach for coffee cup and remember it broke.  Grab broom and sweep.  Pour coffee into new cup.  Microwave oatmeal. Remove baby from Moby wrap and pat her while swaying back and forth until she falls back asleep.

8:57: Realize house is eerily calm and see that toddler has escaped out the back door and is blowing bubbles on the back step.  Naked.

8:58: Fetch naked toddler while still carrying naked baby.  Wave to concerned-looking construction workers.

9:00: Slice banana for toddler.  Drop knife on my foot and curse loudly, waking baby.

9:05: Carry oatmeal and baby to couch and start nursing baby while attempting to eat without dropping oats on her head.

9:10: Remember I left my coffee in the kitchen.  Set down oatmeal and go to kitchen to retrieve it, still nursing baby.

9:12: Sip coffee.  Realize it is cold.  See dog eat my oatmeal.  Chug remainder of cold coffee.  Glance at clock and attempt to calculate hours till bedtime…

9:13: Laugh so hard I cry.  Or maybe I cried so hard I laughed.  It’s hard to say. 

9:15: Decide that a nutty morning might make for a funny blog post.

That's my morning.  How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment