Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Chatting With a Four Year Old


                Recently, my husband and I were in the market for patio materials.  Knowing it would be a lengthy shopping venture and that my only role was to approve the paver selection, we drove separately.  Miraculously, I ended up with only one child—the elusive middle child—in the car I was driving.

                As I cruised off towards Menards, I cranked up the radio, assuming I was embarking on a peaceful, pleasant drive where I didn’t have to listen to overly detailed stories of first grade or repeatedly reach blindly into the backseat to retrieve tossed pacifiers for a fussy baby.  But before we were out of our neighborhood, my sweet Samantha began talking.  Here’s the gist of the conversation:

                “Hey mommy?”

                “Yes?”

                “Can you turn the radio down?  I want to sing Frozen for you.”

                Sigh.  “Sure.”

                “Snow blows cold on the mountainside, not a footprint… Hey mommy?”

                “Yes?”

                “Are you listening?”

                “Yes.”

                “Do you like Frozen?”

                “It’s got some good parts.” (Sidebar- do NOT ever tell your daughters you think Tangled has a better soundtrack than Frozen.  This comment will launch them into a tirade longer than both movies combined and will make you wish you had Rapunzel-length hair that you could strangle yourself with.)

                “Yeah.  It’s pretty good.  I like the song “Roar” too.  You know, because it’s what a tiger does.  Or a lion.  Is it a lion?  Hey, have I singed that song for you about the fieldtrip?  You know, where the little kid climbs into the lions cage and he roars?  It’s definitely about a lion.  Can Katherine sing ‘Call Me Maybe’?”

                “I don’t know.  Maybe you should teach her.”

                “Is that Bieber?” (she’s clearly realized I never turned the radio off—just switched it to the front speakers only).  “I used to like Bieber.  Do you like Bieber?  Hey what about Ryan?  I don’t know if Ryan is still my boyfriend.  Probably I will still marry him.  Well, him or maybe that Alex.  But only if he stops biting me when I take his toy.  That is not nice.  Ryan is always nice.  Except I never see him anymore because his class is a different class from mine.  He’s not in the ladybug class.  He’s a sailor.  Hey, mommy?”

                Sigh.  “Yep?”

                “Are pirates real?”

                I hesitate.  “Yes.”

                “Of course they are.  Would you vote for a pirate?  If he wanted to be mayor?  If he was a nice pirate?”  She barely paused.  “No!  Don’t.  It’s a trick.  When a pirate pretends to be nice, that’s how you know he’s not nice.  Except Izzy, she’s a nice pirate.  Not our neighbor Izzy, the one on Jake and the Neverland Pirates.  Izzy is nice too though.  Why isn’t our basement finished?  Izzy’s is finished and it is a playroom.”

                “We have a playroom.”

                “But we should have one in the basement too.  We could put a flag in it.  Did you know I can say the Pledge of Allegiance?  I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.  And to the republic where witches stand, one nation, under god…  Mom?”

                “Yeah.”

                “Sometimes I think you don’t listen to me.”

                “Hmm.”

                “Are mermaids real?”

                “What do you think?”

                “I’ve never seen one.”

                “Just because you haven’t seen something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.”

                “Yeah, I guess that’s so, because I haven’t seen any unicorns and they are real.  I’m opposed to draw one for school tomorrow.”

                “Supposed,” I correct.

                “What do you suppose?”

                “Nevermind.”

                “Yeah, because mommy, those gummy vitamins from Jake and the pirate show, they aren’t even nice, and they are supposed to taste good so you don’t know you’re eating fish flavors and stuff.  Are we almost there?  I have to go potty.  And not to pee.”

                “I’m driving as fast as I can.”  Trust me.

                “Do you have my underpants?”

                “Why would I have your underpants?  Aren’t you wearing them?”

                “Nope.  Doesn’t look like it.  Huh.  Weird.  Maybe Katherine took them.”

                Yep, folks, that was four minutes of my life.  Multiply this by 300 and you can imagine my day.

1 comment: